ALASKAN KLEE KAI ASSOCIATION OF BRITAIN
The Alaskan Klee Kai Association of Britain (AKKAOB) requires that all members subscribe to the following Code of Ethics to promote the highest standards among breeders, owners and fanciers.
AKKAOB is devoted to the continued protection, betterment, advancement and welfare of the Alaskan Klee Kai breed.
As a devoted Alaskan Klee Kai owner/fancier;
- I believe and accept that the protection, betterment, advancement and welfare of the breed as a whole supersedes personal, competitive, or financial reasons for owning an Alaskan Klee Kai.
- In the absence of Kennel Club breed standards, I accept the United Kennel Club (UKC) Alaskan Klee Kai breed standard as the current standards to which the Alaskan Klee Kai dog shall conform and be bred.
- I will comply with and maintain current information and records of my Alaskan Klee Kai as required by UKC.
- I will demonstrate good sportsmanship by being respectful and courteous in my words and conduct at shows and other events. I will offer encouragement and guidance to interested persons and novices, recognising that the future of the breed depends upon sharing of accurate and knowledgeable information.
- I will not knowingly slander or seek to damage the reputation of other dog owners.
- I will be honest, factual and timely in all my communications, either written or verbal, as well as in any advertisements or promotion of the Alaskan Klee Kai. I will honor all written contracts, agreements and guarantees.
- I will strive to assure good health, sanitary living conditions, and proper nutrition throughout the ownership of my dogs; including following a program of routine veterinary care, seeking medical attention when needed, and educating myself about preventative measures for current medical issues, pertaining both to my location and to the breed in general. I recognise the possibility of euthanasia as one of the responsibilities of dog ownership, and will not tolerate unnecessary suffering or inhumane treatments.
- I will comply with all laws applicable to ownership of dogs in my community.
- I have never been removed due to disrepute or banned from any canine clubs or associations.
- I have never been investigated for, and been found guilty of, any crimes involving animals or had any restrictions imposed on me in regards to keeping and caring for animals.
If/When breeding my Alaskan Klee Kai:
- I will ensure that all breeding dogs are UKC registered and all litters are UKC Litter Registered.
- I agree to initiate UKC Litter Registration for any litter I breed prior to the placing of the puppies or to inform the buyers of an extenuating circumstance that requires additional time.
- I will breed my Alaskan Klee Kai only to other UKC registered Alaskan Klee Kai which are an asset to the breed, demonstrated by being structurally and temperamentally sound, and displaying no disqualifying faults.
- I have not previously bred my Alaskan Klee Kai to a dog of any other breed/mix.
- I will breed my Alaskan Klee Kai only after it has properly matured (a minimum of 24 months of age), and only as often as is consistent with good health under the dictates of sound veterinary standards.
- I will health screen all breeding dogs for general wellness and specific health conditions commonly found in the breed and provide proof of all health testing being carried out both to my puppy buyers and to the AKKAOB in order to be listed as a “Breeder member”. Tests include but are not limited to the following:
- Eye examination
- Cardiac Evaluation
- Autoimmune Thyroiditis
- Patellar Luxation
- Factor VII Deficiency DNA test
- Liver Function Test (To rule out liver shunts)
- I will not breed, and will require the spay or neuter of, any of my Alaskan Klee Kai which displays disqualifying faults, congenital defects, known hereditary defects, poor temperament, or other developments not in the best interest of the breed. An exception may be made if a licensed veterinarian declares that spay/neuter surgery may needlessly endanger the health of the dog.
- I will screen buyers to the best of my abilities to ensure a safe and loving environment, and a life-long relationship with any dog that I sell or place.
- I agree to be available for guidance to buyers of any puppy/dog that I place to include those placed as pets or show/breeding potential for the lifetime of the puppy/dog.
- I will not knowingly sell or trade dogs to wholesalers, retailers, pet shops, medical research facilities, or agents thereof, or to unethical persons whose intent for breeding is questionable to me. I will not offer any Alaskan Klee Kai or stud services in auctions, as prizes or for raffle.
- I will provide the buyer at the time of puppy/dog placement: all health records, a signed Buyer’s Contract, and information about puppy’s/ dog’s lifestyle (e.g. food currently eating).
- I will furnish a description, in writing of any warranties or special considerations regarding the health of any Alaskan Klee Kai that I sell or place, including a guarantee that the animal is free of communicable diseases at the time it leaves my control.
- I agree that provisions will be made to ensure all dogs owned or produced by me are microchipped and those microchips will be registered.
- I agree not to place puppies prior to eight weeks of age. Puppies will be up to date on vaccinations and parasite controls as required by law or veterinarian recommendation.
By my application for membership, I certify that I have read, understand and agree to abide by AKKAOB’s Code of Ethics as outlined above. I agree to act in accordance with this Code of Ethics at all times, and understand that contrary actions may be grounds for disciplinary actions by AKKAOB, up to and including possible expulsion from the Association.